Sunday, April 28, 2013

National Infertility Awareness Week, April 21-27, 2013



I've been so busy with work lately (I travelled to four different conferences, four weeks in a row, ending last week), that I kind of dropped the ball on blogging during National Infertility Awareness Week (NIAW), so I am going to commit to blogging every day this week (the week after NIAW), to continue the movement even after the big push is over.  In so doing, I also hope to promote awareness of the upcoming advocacy day next week.

In honor of National Infertility Awareness Week, I first wanted to share this video and increase awareness of Resolve, the National Infertility Association.  I hope all of my readers struggling with infertility have visited this site and taken advantage of the many resources available there.

A few quotes really stood out to me in this video:

  1. We view infertility as a movement... [and] as a cause that people need to care about.
  2. We want the government to view this as a disease and put... financial resources behind it.  It's a public health issue, and we want to see it taken as such.
  3. Your resolution may be that you are child free... or... that you build your family through adoption.  Resolve stands for helping you meet that resolution... [whatever it may be].
  4. I hope that we can raise awareness so that when someone is diagnosed with infertility, instead of hearing, "Oh, you just need to relax," they'll hear, "How can I support you?"
That last one is still a huge thorn in my side.  You'd be shocked by how many people STILL suggest that maybe we just need to relax when they learn of our struggle with infertility!  At first it was insulting and annoying, now it is so predictable it is almost funny.... or at least it would be if it wasn't still so painful.

No comments:

Post a Comment