Thursday, February 23, 2012

And I thought last week was rough!



So last week I posted about what a hard time I had preparing for 3 baby showers for the weekend.  Not that I was sad about it, but that it was just mentally taxing for me to spend that much time planning gifts, shopping in the baby section of stores, and picking out thoughtful cards for my friends and coworkers on one of the most memorable events of their lives.


The two coworkers' baby showers last Friday went really well.  I made homemade chex mix the night before as my snack to pass, I wrapped their gifts and signed their cards.  Before the shower I helped to decorate and set up the room.  During the party itself I had a great time socializing with the professors and staff that I work with, and any anxiety I had about the gifts I'd picked out went right out the window when the Moms-to-be squealed with delight and thanked me for my cute gifts!


B and I went out with some old friends that were in town over the weekend on Friday night.  I was kind of tired but we haven't seen them in years and I wanted to catch up with them, so we went and had a great time.  I was able to eat a vegan meal and enjoyed one specialty cocktail.  It really was fun and we all had a great time reminiscing about when we all lived in La Crosse and worked together, back in the early days of my & B's relationship.  It was fun to see that people just fundamentally don't change.  They may grow up, but they are still the same people that they always were, deep down.


Saturday we were supposed to get up, take the dogs to a dog park, and then drive down to IL for a "couples shower" for some of our closest friends.  Only I couldn't do it.  Not because I was "having a rough week," but because I woke up with the worst migraine I've had in over 3 years!  I stayed in bed until 2pm, when we were supposed to leave for the party, but it was still so bad that I had to text my friends and tell them I couldn't make it.  I stayed in bed and slept on and off that entire day.


I am really afraid that all our friends probably think we didn't show because I "couldn't take it."  To be honest, a small part of me did wonder if maybe the migraine was brought on by all the stress of the past week, preparing for all these baby events.  But if that was the case, you'd think that once we decided not to go to the party, you'd think my migraine would have subsided. Not the case.  It continued into the next day and I had to miss out on my father-in-law's birthday party too!  My entire body was starting to ache at this point and I started to worry that I was getting really sick.


Monday I woke up and my throat was sore, I still had the severe headache, and all my joints ached.  B worried I was coming down with influenza.  I had to call in sick to work which always causes a lot of stress when you come back, and I had to reschedule 2 meetings because of it, disrupting everyone else's schedule, not just my own!  Tuesday the sore throat was gone, but my head still hurt, so I took one more day off of work.  At least I know none of this could have been because of a baby shower!


Wednesday I was still weak but went back to work.  Found out my cousin and his wife had their baby.  I'm happy for them, but not really something I was super excited to read about first thing in the morning after emerging from my sick-cave.  It was like I left the real world in the midst of 3 baby showers, went into my hibernation cave for 4 days while recovering from whatever weird illness I'd picked up, and when I emerged afterward, I got smacked in the face with a birth announcement.  I know I'm hypersensitive to all things Baby right now, but I think anyone would agree that this stuff is pretty blatantly surrounding me right now, right? Right?


While I'm at work, I learn that my coworker was out Monday and Tuesday too, with the exact same thing, and it had also started for her with a severe headache on Saturday as well!  Maybe it was something we ate at the baby shower on Friday?  B said the secretary at his work had something similar last week too, so perhaps something weird is going around.


AF arrived last night.  I wasn't expecting her until today, but still pretty much on time.  Like clockwork.  Always like clockwork.  I have a normal 26 day cycle, ovulate on days 14-16, get all the appropriate signs in my body for each  phase of my cycle, and yet I can not get pregnant.  So frustrating.


Woke up this morning and found out my best friend down in AZ is in the hospital and they are going to deliver her baby today.  She wasn't due until April 1st.  She is only 34.5 weeks along.  My very first reaction was, "oh, no, not another premie."  Her firstborn came way to early as well.  I'm so worried about my friend and her baby.  Everything worked out fine last time.  My friend was fine, and the baby miraculously was absolutely fine as well, didn't need any kind of support or anything!  I hope it works out the same way this time, but I'll be worried about them until I hear more news.


Guess I should have picked up a little something for this friend after all when I was out shopping last week!

No comments:

Post a Comment