Monday, May 21, 2012

Maybe things haven't changed so much afterall


OK, so back in March, I wrote a post claiming that a "change" had occurred.  You can read the original post here: http://inconceivablestory.blogspot.com/2012/03/change-has-taken-place.html, but the point of it was that I was trying to say that I wasn't so sad all the time about my & B's struggle with infertility anymore.  I was even trying to come up with justifications for the idea that it might be better to live "child-free."

So, the truth is, I don't think anything was changing inside of me, and I don't think I'm ready to accept the idea of a child-free future at all.  You see, five days after I wrote that post, one of my best friends emailed me to tell me that she is pregnant again - with her second child.  So she'll have two kids, ages two and under, before B and I are able to conceive our first.

I wept. 

I couldn't help it.  I wasn't upset with her of course, I was just sad for myself.  You see, when this friend announced she was pregnant with her first child, B and I had not been preventing pregnancy for a while, but we had not yet decided to "try" for a baby yet either.  

A couple months after she announced her first pregnancy, B's and my one-year wedding anniversary rolled around and I graduated from grad school with my second master's degree.  It was finally time for my life long dream to come true.  We started trying for a baby.

By the time my friend's first child was born that Fall, she asked if I had "the itch" yet.  I told her I've had the itch since I was about twelve, and that B and I had been trying and were just waiting for that special month to arrive when we'd have the good news we'd been waiting for!  

Of course, in the back of our minds, B and I were already wondering if something was not quite right.  We'd only been "trying" for three or four months at that point, but before that we'd not been preventing for a year, ever since the wedding.  And I'd been off of birth control for medical reasons for about eight months prior to that... with many months of not being careful.  So really, we wondered, why hadn't we gotten pregnant yet?  Just lucky we hoped...

For months after my friend's baby was born I'd spend several days a week visiting her and her baby.  It was great timing because I was finally done with grad school, in my first real job, and finally had free time like a normal person!  Plus, I was able to get the baby fix I needed on a regular basis.  Her child was the most beautiful being.  She was such a good baby, and to this day lights up my world every time I see her.  The best way to describe her is as a perfect little blessing.  And now, as she is getting older, it is such a delight to see her growing and learning.  

So anyway, I spent a great deal of time with this friend right before and ever since the birth of her first baby.  She was such a considerate and thoughtful friend and always asked me how things were going with our own baby making efforts every single month.  Somehow she'd always ironically call on the the day I'd gotten my period.  Oh well, I'd joke, another month of drinking and banking sick time at work for my eventual maternity leave!

By midwinter that year, B & I still were not pregnant and we really started to wonder if there was something bigger going on that we should know about.  For young healthy couples they usually say to wait for a year of unprotected sex before testing for infertility.  But since we'd already been having unprotected sex for over two years (though we'd only been actively trying to time things out for about 6 months), B started getting tested... just in case.

It's best to get the male tested first because it's much less invasive than the female infertility workup.  It's best to rule out male factor infertility first, before you begin poking and prodding the female partner.  In January of 2011, we got our first analysis results back showing that B could potentially have low counts.  But it was January, and we are in the upper-midwest, and he'd done it at home, taken it outside to drive to the clinic, and delivered it to them about half an hour later.  We decided that there were too many variables and we'd get a second opinion.

In April that year we went to the only urologist in the area that specializes in male factor infertility - Dr. J.  B's sample came back slightly better this time, but still just on the cusp of the border between the range of what's "normal" and what's a problem.  We had another sample sent away to a lab out west somewhere... the only one in the country that tests for DNA fragmentation to see if that was our problem.  Again, he was right on the border between normal and the problem zone.

All this meant that B's swimmers could be the reason we hadn't conceived yet, but the evidence wasn't conclusive.  Dr. J did notice that B had varicoceles which could be causing his lower counts, but even that wasn't conclusive as many men get them who don't suffer from infertility.  He suggested we keep trying for 4-6 months and if we had no luck, try an IUI, which should give this counts the little extra boost they needed.  So we started up all the female infertility tests on me in the meantime (just to be sure there wasn't anything additional on my end to worry about while we were trying naturally), which continued throughout the summer.

We were still hopeful that there was nothing wrong, but as each month went by with one negative pregnancy test result after another, eventually my friend stopped asking if this was finally the month.  Instead she started asking how the testing was going and if we knew anything new that could help us.

That summer we did learn that I had a blocked fallopian tube, which sent me into a panic at first, until my OBGYN reminded me that I should still have a 50% chance of getting pregnant because most women ovulate from each side every other month.  Anyway, they were able to go back in and open it up and it's been open now for 10 months and guess what? Still no pregnancies.

Anyway, I've blogged before about all the testing and IUI's and it all ended with B having varicocele repair surgery last month.  Since it takes a man 90 days to produce new sperm, we are now in a waiting period.  We can't test to find out if the surgery improved B's counts until July, so no thoughts of trying for a baby until then.

Apparently, a good percentage of men who undergo this surgery see improvement after those 3 months!  Of those that don't, many of them will see improvement within about 6 months.  Of those that are left, some will have improvement within a year, and a few within two years after the surgery.  

So, we're hopeful about July, but shouldn't get our hopes up too high.  Or, maybe a better way to think about it is that we shouldn't lose all hope if the counts don't improve because there may still be a chance for things to get better down the road with a little more time.

So that's where we are at with the whole TTC thing, and that's the update (for now) on what we know about how B's surgery went.

But what does any of this have to do with my friend telling me she's pregnant and/or me saying things haven't changed so much after all?

Well, my point is that this friend telling me she was pregnant again kind of burst my bubble.  It brought back all the happy hopeful memories of when B and I first started out on our journey toward parenthood.  It reminded me of times when friends having babies was just exciting, not bittersweet.  But it also reminded me how long we've been TTC.  It reminded me of where we started out and all that has happened along the way to bring us to where we are today.

It made me think about the fact that she'll be done having kids before I even start.  Any of our hopes to be pregnant together were thrown out the window.  It made me wonder what it will be like to be going through the baby phase once all my friends are done with it and reclaiming their bodies, sleep, and free-time.  It made me think that once again I was behind all my peers in "life" (committing to a serious boyfriend, getting engaged, finishing school, buying a house), but this time not by my own choosing, and it made me feel sorry for myself.

I know I had written that wonderfully optimistic post about how something had "changed" inside of me and that somehow now other people's pregnancies weren't bothering me as much.  I do think that is still true, but not because something inside me changed.  And to be honest, my friend's being pregnant didn't "bother" me.  The reason it made me cry is not because she is pregnant again (because of course I'm very happy for her, and told her that immediately...and honestly truly meant it), but because it triggered emotions about myself that I hadn't been feeling for a couple months.  But again, not because anything had profoundly changed inside me to make me feel differently.  Rather, I think I was just distracted.

Distracted by B's impending surgery.  Distracted by work.  Distracted by the warmer weather and exercising the dogs.  Distracted by the biggest financial decision that B and I have ever made together....

Distracted by the process of buying our first house!


Stay tuned for more to come on that soon :)


1 comment:

  1. I wouldn't say that things haven't changed internally for you, Jess. Infertility is a roller coaster of emotions. One week emotions seem to be ok, the next week they're not. It's part of the process. You have grown so much! No matter what happens, no one can take that away from you. You are not the same person you were when this all began. Celebrate your growth, Jess! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete