Thursday, May 24, 2012

Egg Sharing Program - Would you do it?

Denise Everett-Keene is able to see exactly when the sperm connects with the eggs through this monitor in a lab at The Hugh Wynter Fertility Management Unit at the University Hospital of the West Indies in Mona, St Andrew.

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/UHWI--baby-factory--gets--700-m-expansion_11455333#ixzz1vcQj7NPq
I read this article about a week ago which mentions a clinic in Jamaica that offers an "egg sharing program" that is in such high demand that they are expanding their clinic.  The egg sharing program "allows older couples who are having difficulty conceiving, to receive healthy eggs from younger couples who are in need of fertility procedures, in exchange for their footing the bill for the donor couple's treatments."


I instantly got excited and wished that B & I could do it.  Well, I suppose there is nothing stopping us from looking into it, but I instantly wondered if it was that safe to do this there rather than in the U.S.  I started wishing that I could find such a program in the U.S.  But then I suppose it would become political and people would get all up in arms about.  


I've read recently about Indian surrogacy and how many people think that Western couples are exploiting poor Indian women.  But there is another side to that argument.  Some say that these women are getting money they desperately need for the their families and helping to share the joy of parenthood with another couple who needs help.


Couldn't this egg sharing program be seen the exact same way (on both sides of the argument)?

Then I started wondering, would I want a child of mine being raised by someone else?  What if the other couple's procedure worked with my egg, but mine & B's did not.  Then they'd have my child and I wouldn't.  Could I live with that?

Then I came across an article about egg donation: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/14/infertility-egg-freezing_n_1515792.html, and remembered that a lot of young women donate their eggs as a way to earn money in college.

I started thinking, what if I donated eggs a few times to earn enough money to do IVF in a few years?  Then I wouldn't have to worry about the risk of the other people getting pregnant with my eggs while I do not (like I might in a shared egg program).  And, I'd be helping another family struggling from the same hardships that B & I have been going through.

These programs prefer proven fertility, but it is not required.  And from what we can tell, our issues are probably male factor infertility (I have a clean bill of health on every infertility test I've ever had).  The programs do have an age limit though, so I'd have to hurry if I want to do it.  And I think they require a lower BMI, but I've kicked started a new effort to shed the extra lbs already. So maybe this could be an option for us in a year or so if we are not pregnant naturally (meaning B's surgery would have been successful!).

When I mentioned it to B, his first concern was that if I take all those hormones and give up all those eggs, it might jeopardize my fertility for us in the future.  Valid concern.  And since I'm 30 now, my eggs and time are both dwindling.

A shared program would probably combat that issue if could donate some of my eggs during the same cycle that we are using the rest to do IVF.  But do we have to go to Jamaica to do it then?  Maybe some more research in a year or two would be a good idea.  

Best to focus on the results of B's surgery for now and hope that we get pregnant naturally I suppose.  But I can't help but worry that time is running out for me if we need to consider other options.  I'm such a planner (and a worrier) and want to be prepared.  I don't want to look back and wish "if only we had...."

So now I'm wondering, how many others out there, who either are now or have in the past experienced infertility would consider something like this?  Either an egg sharing program or a few cycles of egg donation to earn money toward their own ART expenses?

3 comments:

  1. Hi santamonicafert, thank you for your comment.

    I agree, my real question was more about the exchange. Infertile young women donating eggs to an older women, and the older women pay for the younger women to get IVF. How would you feel if your eggs helped the other older couple conceive but it failed for you after all that? It would be tough...

    ReplyDelete
  2. How do you feel about organ donation, blood donation or adoption?

    These are things that are not done lightly....

    Everyone has their own beliefs and struggles otherwise life would be pretty boring.

    I would like to think that if I could help somebody somehow I would do so without hesitation.

    The child has a better chance of being loved and cared for(more likely spoiled).

    Think of all those eggs that you have not used over the years.

    Think if you were the person or couple needing eggs. Would you penalise a couple when there are so many persons terminating pregnancies or having children that they cannot/will not look after.

    The adoption system in Jamaica is so difficult and naturally everyone wants a baby more often than not.

    The Lord knows best. With the best technology pregnancy is still not guaranteed.

    Donors and recipients undergo counselling for the possibility of failure and explore all those questions that you may think of.

    The sharing process keeps the cost down for both parties especially if you compare it to treatment in the UNITED STATES.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How do you feel about organ donation, blood donation or adoption?

    These are things that are not done lightly....

    Everyone has their own beliefs and struggles otherwise life would be pretty boring.

    I would like to think that if I could help somebody somehow I would do so without hesitation.

    The child has a better chance of being loved and cared for(more likely spoiled).

    Think of all those eggs that you have not used over the years.

    Think if you were the person or couple needing eggs. Would you penalise a couple when there are so many persons terminating pregnancies or having children that they cannot/will not look after.

    The adoption system in Jamaica is so difficult and naturally everyone wants a baby more often than not.

    The Lord knows best. With the best technology pregnancy is still not guaranteed.

    Donors and recipients undergo counselling for the possibility of failure and explore all those questions that you may think of.

    The sharing process keeps the cost down for both parties especially if you compare it to treatment in the UNITED STATES.

    ReplyDelete