Monday, May 14, 2012

Thoughts on Mother's Day



Mother's Day was a little bittersweet yesterday.  I wasn't too sad.  B and I just stayed home with the pups and took care of "us".  We had given my mom & grandma some gifts the weekend prior, and sent flowers to his mom and grandmothers.  We each called our mom's as well.  But other than that... and the hundreds of Facebook Status updates from others yesterday, there wasn't too much to remind us that it was supposed to be the worst day of the year for me.

It's funny, when you're in high school and college, there are always the girls who say that Valentine's Day is the worst day of the year for them.  They were eternally single of course.  But I never understood them.  Even when I was single on Valentine's Day, I thought of it as a day to celebrate love in general, and if you were not in a romantic loving relationship, then by golly celebrate the other loves in your life, your friends & family!

I kind of feel that way about Mother's Day too.  I was more focused on it being about our mom's than the fact that I want so desperately to be a mother myself.  I felt a little left out when all the acquaintances I am "friends" with on Facebook kept posting about how great it is to be a mother yesterday.  And I have to admit I get peeved every year when the dogs get B a Father's Day Card & Gift... yet they never get me anything for Mother's Day ;)

Other than that though, it was a pretty okay day.  One sensitive relative posted in her Facebook Status a comment not only for all the mothers, but also for those of us who are still waiting for our own little miracles.  That really touched me and I appreciated her thoughtfulness.

I read a great post on another infertility blog this morning about Mother's Day for Infertiles.  She included the ecard image I used above and also lists some great resources in the post that I highly recommend.  She also referred to a poem she had posted last year on Mother's Day that I thought was pretty good and am re-posting below.


Poem from another Infertility Blog: http://thepiferfamily.blogspot.com/


“Happy Mother's Day”
It comes around every year;
but when you have empty arms,
it's very hard to hear.

It's a day to celebrate a mother,
for all the trials she overcame;
and a reminder to an infertile
of her loneliness and shame.

But what really makes a mother,
Is it just conception and birth?
Or is there something more,
that shows a mother's worth?

It's putting your child first,
in everything you do;
it's sacrifice and determination,
and love and patience too.

An infertile woman makes all her plans,
around a child not yet conceived;
she loves them even though they aren't here,
more than she ever could have believed.

She appreciates and understands,
what a blessing that children are;
she works hard for just a chance,
that motherhood is not that far.

All odds are stacked against her,
and yet she still has hope;
everyday is another struggle,
finding ways to help her cope.

So even though her arms are empty,
she can still be a mother too;
So say a special “Happy Mother's Day”
for those waiting for their dreams to come true!

No comments:

Post a Comment