Friday, May 24, 2013

New Beginnings?


Coming across this article about turning Mother's Day into an empowering day for the infertile, which I blogged about here, and which was written by someone not too far away and kind of close to home (at least the home where part of my heart still is) reminds me that B & I have been thinking more about getting a second opinion before pulling the trigger on IVF next year.  

We had been putting it off because I've been so busy with work and travel, and honestly, for a long time we still had hoped that B's varicocele repair surgery would have worked, but now things are slowing down and we are fairly confident that one year post-surgery, the lack of improvement in his semen analysis is pretty indicative of the surgery's affect on our fertility.  Which is literally nothing.  Zero improvement.


But come mid-June, we'll return from our last scheduled trip in the foreseeable future.  I have asked B to get one more semen analysis done over the summer sometime just to confirm that 1.25 - 1.5 years out from surgery, nothing has changed.  I was thinking about visiting an entirely new clinic and going through all the rigors of female infertility testing again just to double check and see if in 3 years my hormones or blood levels have changed, or if my fallopian tubes are still open, or if my ovaries, cervix, or uterus are all still okay.  I was thinking we could try to find referrals for places that are very "holistically" focused, so that they would consider my cycle more instead of just doing the bare minimum and pushing us toward IUI & IVF like our current clinic.  Our RE just moved back to Canada, so we need to see someone new anyway.  Maybe this is the time to try someplace new just to make sure we've explored absolutely everything before we go into so much debt for IVF.

If we start hunting around in July and spend the summer getting things checked out.... again.... that would still give us six months before IVF to sort it all out definitively.  I think it would also be nice to start some therapy or find a support group at that time too.

Yes, I think upon our return from this last trip in June, much of our focus and energy will need to shift toward building our family and our future.  I'll be sure to blog about those experiences here, as this is my best place to sort through my feelings and record all that I learn along this crazy journey!

2 comments:

  1. Just wanted to let you know, I'm following along. My husband has low morph and is 6 months after surgery with a slight improvement but not much. It's nice to hear from someone going through the same thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kat,

      Thanks so much for your comment! It's really comforting to hear from others going through the same thing. Please do keep me posted and let me know if you see any improvement!

      I'll be crossing my fingers for you and sending wishes for baby dust to blow your way!

      Delete