Thursday, January 19, 2012

I think I need to start watching Private Practice


I thought I was done blogging for the day.  I took a break to get some dinner and settled in to watch a little TV.  As I flipped through the channels (really digging this whole cable TV thing while staying at these conference hotels), I came across Private Practice. 


I remember reading on another blog that the main character, Addison,  has been undergoing fertility treatments, so I decided to check it out.  This was a really good episode for me to be introduced to the show with.  From what I could gather, this character has used donar sperm for IUI, had a failed IVF, and was unsuccessful with adoption.  Now she was interviewing surrogates.  At the end of the show she had a conversation with her partner, telling him she needed a break.


He asked her if she was quitting and she said no.  She said she is still going to have a baby, but she just needs SOMETHING else to focus on right now, ANYTHING else.  She needed to just "be" for a while.


I'm not where she is, because I'm trying to switch my focus from our cancelled IVF to our upcoming IUI and I really need to be hopeful about it, in order to get through it.  But I appreciate what the writers of this show are having this character do.  It was tastefully written and gives me comfort to know that taking a break for a while can be okay too if I find I need that some day.


After a few quick Google searches, it's looking like I should start watching Grey's Anatomy again too!  Apparently Meredith lost a pregnancy, then struggled to get pregnant again, and then adopted?  I might have to look for these shows on Netflix or Hulu or something to watch them from the beginning so I can get caught up, but it sounds like TV I can relate too!

3 comments:

  1. Another good show is Giulianna & Bill. (It's on Netflix) It's a reality show about a celebrity couple going through infertility. She just recently found out she has breast cancer so they have had to stop IVF for now. I cry everytime I watch it because all those emotions and memories from my struggles come rushing back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE that show too! I saw the first season on Netflix, but that's all they had at that point. At the end of that season they were just trying to decide if they would do IVF or not. I've been trying to follow Guilianna's story through the news media ever since then, so I knew about her three failed IVF cycles and now her breast cancer & double mastectomy. I should go back to see if more episodes are on Netflix again now. Thanks for reminding me of not only another great TV portrayal of infertility, but a REAL one to boot!

      Delete
  2. The next season is on Netflix. Season 2 deals a lot more with the infertility stuff.

    ReplyDelete