Wednesday, January 18, 2012

I think I'm harder on former infertiles

Photo from Cosmopolitan web article,
 "Pregnant Chicks Who Brag Too Much"
Most pregnant women are smug.  There, I said it.  They just have this smugness about them.  They are part of "the club" and they let everyone around them know it.  This is why Facebook and other social media networks are not always a good friend to the infertile.  Pregnant women are everywhere, posting announcements of their pregnancies, ultrasound pictures, nursery pictures, and statuses about how much they can't wait for their pregnancies to be over.

This is something most infertiles, and frankly even fertiles know about.  But here's a question, are infertiles harder on former infertiles?  I think I am.  

I expect more from my sisters who have been where I am.  I find it hypocritical that women who used to bemoan the "in your face" postings of others on Facebook, do the same thing when they finally graduate from infertility and get pregnant.  Worse yet, once their child(ren) is born, and they can't stop talking about "my son" this or "my daughter" that.   Yes, we all know you are proud to be a parent.  And we are all truly happy for you, really, we are.

But have you forgotten something?

How could you so blatantly disregard the feelings of the infertile friends you left behind?  Don't you remember what it felt like when fertiles used to go on and on about their pregnancies and new babies?  Has it escaped you that you used to dread baby showers?  Do I need to remind you that the only reason you could forgive their behavior is because they probably were unaware of the silent plight of so many of the women around them?  But you don't have that excuse, do you?

Yes, I hold former infertiles to a higher standard.  They know first hand the hyper-sensitivity that infertiles experience from every non-chalant comment, picture, post, shower invitation, etc.  When they were infertile, they wished those around them would be more empathetic to what they were going through, and so it is inexcusable that they would not be advocates for their infertile sisters once they graduate and move on from infertility.

Don't get me wrong, they deserve to be happy about their blessings.  And I'm happy for them.  They give me hope and inspiration that it will happen for me too.  They finally got what we all want and are supporting each other to achieve.  And who doesn't love success stories?  

But please, if you once struggled with infertility, and have now been blessed with your miracle child, just remember how it used to feel when it seemed like everyone around you was rubbing their pregnancies/children in your face (even if they didn't mean too).  You have an opportunity to be a better role model, and frankly, to continue being a supportive friend.

I know it is probably unfair of me to hold you to a higher standard than anyone else.  And admittedly, this entire post comes off as a bit selfish.  The sad truth is that infertility at it's worst turns even the best of  us into people we never wanted to be.  But I do feel that it's important for me to post about this because I don't want see the world as fertiles vs. infertiles.  Rather I'd like to see it as sensitive vs. insensitive.  I beg you, please don't become one of them, the insensitive.

And to all my friends who have been where I am and have since been blessed with the family we all hope for.  I mean it when I say I'm happy for you and you inspire me.  I don't want to be a foul-weather friend, there for you when you are struggling and abandoning you when it is time to celebrate.  Not at all.  I want to continue the same supportive relationship we worked hard  to build.  So please, share all your happy news with me, just be sensitive with me.

2 comments:

  1. I am really proud of you for having the courage and bravery to post this. I hope that I am not one of ones that you speak of, but I very well could be. I know all your feelings here and the last thing I would ever want is for anyone that is still struggling to feel betrayed/left behind/etc. This saddens my heart. :( I do want you to know that once you are on the other side, it's a hard balance. You feel caught in the in-between. You don't know how to celebrate and be sensitive at the same time. Perhaps your next post could be on what that would look like exactly? How can I (and others) celebrate yet also be sensitive to you (and other infertiles)? Lastly, it might be somewhat comforting to know that, for me, though I have been blessed with children (and lost some, too) I will always have a kindred spirit with the infertile. Once you've gone through something as devastating as that, it sticks with you...you never truly forget it or fully recover from it (maybe you do, but I haven't yet). So, though it may seem that we have "moved on", know that in our hearts, chances are, we still consider ourselves infertile kindred souls. We share a sick & twisted sisterhood that those who never struggled to get pregnant will ever understand. Love you! Keep fighting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amykinz, thank you so much for your courage in writing my first comment! Your empathy and concern over the possibility of having been like the type of women I described in my post prove that you are one of the sensitive! To be honest with you, I always felt like you were doing a great job of walking the tightrope between the world of infertility and motherhood. That is why your blogs & facebook posts continued to capture my interest so well! I really like your suggestion about another post with suggestion of how former infertiles (or really anyone around me who is sensitive to my condition) can celebrate their successes. I actually started writing about it in this post but realized I didn't have any good answers just yet so I deleted it! I'm going to put some more thought into it and post a follow up though, I think it would be a good thing to do :)

    ReplyDelete